Waste Collection and Recycling
Balonne Shire Council has a two-bin system: red bins are for general waste and yellow bins are for recycling.
General waste is collected once per week and recycling is collected once per fortnight, as per the schedule below:
|Monday||All towns*||Industrial skip bins|
|Tuesday||St George: Turvey Ct to Kenny Ln, Carnarvon Hwy residential allotments, Carnarvon Hwy truck stops.||Domestic bins|
|Wednesday||Bollon, Thallon, Nindigully and Riverside Parklands||Domestic bins|
|Friday||St George: Kenny Ln to Mitchell St South, and Johnston Rd.||Domestic bins|
*Industrial skip bin collection is subject to prior arrangement with Council's contractor, JJ Richards.
Council has created a comprehensive plan to reduce our waste and increase our recycling, as outlined below:
To find out what you can recycle in your household bin, visit the JJ Richards website.
Domestic bin replacement
New bins can be ordered from Balonne Shire Council. To order, call: 4620 8888.
Annual kerbside collection
Like most Councils, Balonne Shire runs one annual hard rubbish (kerbside) collection across the region, to help residents get rid of large items and green waste.
Generally this collection is held around March, with dates subject to change.
Kerbside Collection for 2022 will be the week beginning 14 March 2022.
To assist our teams in prompt and efficient collection, Council asks all residents to follow these guidelines:
- Before the first collection day in your town, place all rubbish on the kerb.
- Watch your item weight: hard rubbish is collected by a two-person team. If an item is too heavy, it won't be removed.
- If you have oversize items (e.g. car bodies, extremely heavy items) call ahead to Council - we can organise a team to remove them.
- Green waste is limited to 250L.
- Please do not put tyres out for removal.