Food Operators


It is a requirement under the Queensland Food Act 2006 that all food businesses operating certain food handling activities such as restaurants/cafes must hold a Food Business License with their Local Council. A home based business or market stall are popular ways to start a new food business. There are also specific requirements for non-profit and government organisations.

To apply for a food licence or an outdoor dining permit please use the links below.

Food Business License Application

Outdoor Dining Permit

Food Handler and Food Safety Supervisor

The Food Act 2006 requires that every licensed food business has a nominated food safety supervisor on site. A qualified food safety supervisor is required on-site within 30 days of obtaining a new licence and within 14 days when there is a change of supervisor.

The nominated food safety supervisor takes the lead role in supervising food safety in the business and is required to be reasonably available at all times.

The food safety supervisor must have undertaken an accredited course with a registered training organisation (RTO) in the appropriate units of competency or the equivalent.

To complete a Food Supervisors course online: once you have received your certificate, send a copy to Council for their records.