Sewerage Systems

River Bridge gates

The Balonne Shire Council owns and operates sewerage systems in the towns of St George, Bollon and Dirranbandi. These systems were constructed in the early 1960s with some subsequent mains extensions in St George.

Premises in the towns of Hebel, Mungindi (in Qld) and Thallon have septic systems in use.

Council also provides campervan and motorhome travellers with 3 dump point facilities in the Shire:

  • St George - McGahan Street, behind Showgrounds.
  • Dirranbandi - Behind swimming pool at Showgrounds.
  • Bollon - Northern side of the old fire station.

Customer Service Standards for Sewerage Service

  • Dispose of bathroom rubbish such as hygiene products, wet wipes, nappies and other waste in the bin, not the toilet. These items can cause blockages and can be expensive to repair. All toilet cleaning and shower products are safe to use without affecting our wastewater system.

    Wet wipes are labelled "flushable" but they don’t disintegrate in water like toilet paper – so please don't flush them down the toilet. Put them in the bin instead.

    Nappies, sanitary products (napkins and tampons), razors, cotton buds, syringes should be wrapped up and put in the bin.

  • Greywater is waste water from the bath, shower, hand basin and laundry which can be diverted for reuse on lawns and gardens. Kitchen greywater is not suitable for reuse, as grease and oil can clog irrigation systems and build up on soil surfaces.

    Under the State Government's Plumbing and Drainage Act 2002, residents in sewered areas may use greywater by means of:

    • manual bucketing
    • connecting a flexible hose to a washing machine outlet
    • installing greywater diversion devices (with council approval) and treatment plants by licenced plumbers, connected to an irrigation hose
    • surface or sub-surface system (with council approval)

    Care should be taken if reusing greywater because of its:

    • potential health risks to humans
    • potential for environmental damage to soils, ground water, and waterways caused by increased nutrient and chemical levels
  • You will need a council permit before installing either:

    • a greywater diversion device, which diverts greywater from the bath, shower, hand basin and/or laundry to an irrigation hose. Untreated greywater cannot be stored
    • a greywater treatment system, which collects the greywater and treats it to a high standard for reuse as garden irrigation

    You don't need a permit for manual bucketing or connection of a flexible hose to a washing machine outlet.