If you're looking to catch your own dinner whilst you're on the road, then the Balonne Shire's rivers will no doubt prove to be the perfect catch.
The eight rivers and waterways which traverse the Balonne Shire are renowned for Yellowbelly and Murray Cod. We've got a Balonnne Shire Fishing map (PDF) showing all our waterways so you can plan your fishing expedition.
If you've turned up to the inland fishing capital of Queensland without the right equipment to get a line in the water then the following businesses in St George can help you out:
- The 5 Star Handimarket, JCM's Auto & Fuel and BP Service Station all sell bait
- Mitre 10, Golders, JCM's Auto & Fuel and Balonne Sports Store-Unique Egg all stock fishing line and tackle
To help you get a head start, check out the list below for suggested spots to drop in a line:
- Warroo Bridge, St George (59km north)
- Beardmore Dam, St George
- Balonne River, St George
- Buckinbah Weir, St George
- Jack Dwyer Park, Dirranbandi
- Balonne Minor Bridge, Dirranbandi
- Bokhara River, Hebel
- Wallam Creek, Bollon
- Moonie River, Nindigully
- ‘Barney's Beach', Thallon
- Barwon River, Mungindi
You'll have plenty of freedom whilst in pursuits of ‘the catch of the day' as you don't require a fishing licence here.