St George Library Hub
The concept developed for the St George Library Hub is a new 653m2 library building, incorporating both business and learning hubs. It will be equipped with a suite of modern technology to better deliver positive educational and business outcomes for people of the Balonne Shire. This is considered stage 1 of a wider vision to create a vibrant precinct in Victoria Street.
In addition to the library itself, the concept design includes a revitalised green space (courtyard), the refurbishment of the St George Cultural Centre annex to a multi-use area including meeting rooms and improvement of the Cultural Centre façade including an foyer art display space.
Inside, the St George Library Hub will have:
- Dedicated space for a business and education hub with a separate entrance
- Contemporary spaces for workshops, programs, increased resources and digital education
- A Country Universities Centre educational hub
- Increased library collection from 7,914 items to 13,500 items; in line with State Library of Queensland per capita standards
- Makers' Space for innovation, creativity and robotics
- Spaces equipped with technology for virtual learning, training and connection
- Hot desks and office hire, including virtual office hire and services
- Business support programs and visiting consultant workspaces
- Training and workshops via virtual connection, including spaces for Distance Education
- Quiet study and work areas
- Feature areas for juniors and teenagers
- 3D Print hub for prototypes and new product development, including ag-tech
- Dedicated area for the celebration of local history and cultural representation
Gallery: St George Library Hub
Project roll out
$5M in funding has been successfully secured from the Australian Government through the Building Better Regions Fund for the St George Library Hub.
Council will contribute $1M to enable the $6M project build.
A project manager has been engaged. The next stage of the project will be to develop the detailed design.
Watch this space for regular updates.
Significant research and community consultation including a full business case was undertaken to develop the concept for a new Library-Hub.
Want to know more about the future St George Library Hub? Reports on the design, community consultation, and planning are available below.