Balonne Shire By-election Nominations Open
Balonne Shire Council advises that due to the recent resignation of former Councillor Ian Todd a by-election will be conducted by the Electoral Commission Queensland on Saturday, 26 November 2022.
Candidate nominations are now open from Monday, 24 October and will close at 12pm (noon) on Wednesday, 2 November 2022. The following information is provided so that residents and prospective candidates can get ready.
- Nominations are invited from candidates for the by-election.
- Nominations must be lodged with the Returning Officer or through the Electoral Commission of Queensland’s (ECQ) website.
- Information about how to nominate as a candidate is available on the ECQ website via the above link.
- To contact the Returning Officer, please see the ECQ website or phone 1300 881 665.
Nominees can enquire at the Balonne Shire Council administration office 9.00am to 4.45pm Monday to Friday this week (24 to 28 October) and then at the Cultural Centre, St George (31 October to noon 2 November).
For more information, please refer to Electoral Commission Qld at the following link:
To be eligible to nominate as a councillor you must be:
- an adult Australian citizen; and
- resides in the Balonne Shire; and
- enrolled on an electoral roll kept under the Electoral Act, section 58; and
- not disqualified from being a councillor because of a section in this division (eg. bankruptcy): and
- complete the mandatory training as outlined in the above link in the six-month period prior to nominating.
Residents are urged to ‘have your say and vote’, so please check that your electoral roll is up to date prior to the electoral rolls closing on 31 October at 5:00pm at https://www.ecq.qld.gov.au/enrol-to-vote or https://www.aec.gov.au/ Enrolment forms are available at Council’s office and library in hard copy or on the Australian Electoral Commission online.