While Council proactively releases information to the community about activities, the Right to Information Act 2009 (the Act) provides a formal means of requesting access to information held by Council that is not normally publicly available.
Requests for access to information must be made in the approved form and be accompanied by the application fee to Council as required under the Act.
An approved Right to Information application form is available to complete and submit from the Right to Information web site on http://www.rti.qld.gov.au/. All RTI applications should provide sufficient information to allow the identification of the documents you are seeking, aswell as certified identification of the applicant eg, drivers licence, birth certificate, within 10 days of lodging the application.
Council will determine if information or documents requested is available under the Right to Information Act.
Fees and Charges
For current fees and charges issued by the Office of the Information Commissioner, please visit http://www.rti.qld.gov.au/fees-and-charges
Please note that all processing and access charges are normally payable when we notify you of the decision regarding your application.
- There is no application fee for access to personal information under the Information Privacy Act 2009.
You will receive further notices /correspondence outlining:
- That you are required to pay a charge
- What the estimated charge price maybe
- Basis for calculating the estimate
- Offer to consult with the agency to reduce the charge
- You must agree in writing to pay the application charge, withdraw or request waiver of the charge under financial hardship.
Council has 25 business days to provide applicants with a decision in regards to accessing information. Some factors can alter this limit as per s69 of the Act.
Right to Information and Information Privacy applications can be lodged:
Balonne Shire Council Office
By post addressed to
Right to Information
Balonne Shire Council
PO Box 201
St George QLD 4487
Payment can be made in the following forms:
- Cheque - crossed, marked 'not negotiable' and payable to Balonne Shire Council
- EFTPOS and Credit Card
- Cash (please do not send cash through the mail)
All enquiries about Right to Information and Information Privacy should be directed to Council's Right to Information officers at email@example.com or telephone (07) 4620 8888.