Have your say on the Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan 2018
Council wants comment from the community on our new Waste Reduction and Recycling Plan 2018.
Send your feedback to email@example.com or call us on (07) 4620 8888 by 31 May, 2018.
The Balonne Shire Council has a recycling service, collected weekly. Once collected, your recycling is sent to Toowoomba to be sorted and separated. Potential uses vary – for example, plastics are used to make winter fleeces and aluminium is used to build bicycles or boats.
Containers made of aluminium, steel, plastic and glass can be recycled.
From July 1, 2018 residents across the shire were provided with two bins. One 240L bin for recyclables, collected fortnightly, and the other 240L bin for general rubbish, collected weekly.
Examples of items we recycle include:
- aluminium and steel tins/cans
- aerosol cans
- glass bottles and jars
- plastic soft-drink and water bottles
- plastic food containers, tubs and trays
- juice and milk cartons and bottles
- 'Tetra pak' drink containers.
- newspapers and magazines (staples are fine)
- advertising material (remove plastic wrap)
- phone books
- egg cartons
- envelopes (even those with clear plastic windows)
- cardboard boxes.
The following items can't be recycled:
- plastic bags (they contaminate recycling and jam machinery)
- polystyrene such as meat trays and foam packaging
- light globes, mirrors and window glass
- crockery, drinking glasses and Pyrex
- sharps and syringes