2019 Australia Day nominations
Nominations are now being called for the 2019 Balonne Shire Australia Day Awards.
To nominate a community member for an award please read the guidelines and select the appropriate 2019 nomination form. Community members are asked to fill out these forms and lodge them with Council by 4pm Friday 16 November 2018.
The award categories are:
- Citizen of the Year Award (over 18 years)
- Young Citizen of the Year Award (under 18 years)
- Community Event Award
- Community Service Award
- Sports Achievement Medallion (over 18 years)
- Sports Achievement Medallion (under 18 years)
- Sports Achievement Medallion (Administrator, etc)
- Cultural Achievement Medallion (over 18 years)
- Cultural Achievement Medallion (under 18 years)
General Criteria for all Awards:
- Nominees must be Australian citizens and are permanent residents of Balonne Shire or residents of the Shire during 2018
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years
- Self-nominations will not be accepted
Australia Day is an opportunity to celebrate people and groups that have made noteworthy contributions in our community.
Did you know that the tradition of having Australia Day as a national holiday on 26 January is a recent one. It wasn’t until 1994 that all states and territories began to celebrate Australia Day consistently as a public holiday on that date.
The Australia Day Awards are provided by the Queensland Commemorative Events and Celebrations Committee and administered by Local Governments.