Australia Day nominations are now open
Nominations are now open for the Balonne Shire Australia Day Awards which will be held in St George on Friday, 26 January 2018.
To nominate a community member for an award please read the guidelines and select the appropriate nomination form.
The aware categories are:
- Citizen of the Year Award (over 25 years)
- Young Citizen of the Year Award (under 25 years)
- Community Event Award
- Community Service Award
- Sports Achievement Medallion (over 18 years)
- Sports Achievement Medallion (under 18 years)
- Sports Achievement Medallion (Administrator, etc)
- Cultural Achievement Medallion (over 18 years)
- Cultural Achievement Medallion (under 18 years)
General Criteria for all Awards:
- Nominees must be Australian citizens and are permanent residents of Balonne Shire or residents of the Shire during 2017
- Awards will not be granted posthumously
- Unsuccessful nominees may be re-nominated in subsequent years
- Self-nominations will not be accepted
Volunteers wanted for committee
Council is seeking volunteers to establish an Australia Day planning committee for 2018. If you are interested in being a part of this committee, please contact Mareea Lochel on 4620 8888.
Australia Day is an opportunity to celebrate people and groups that have made noteworthy contributions in our community.
Did you know that the tradition of having Australia Day as a national holiday on 26 January is a recent one. It wasn’t until 1994 that all states and territories began to celebrate Australia Day consistently as a public holiday on that date.
The Australia Day Awards are provided by the Queensland Commemorative Events and Celebrations Committee and administered by Local Governments.